Background

The Peabody Institute was dedicated in 1866 by George Peabody himself as a music conservatory, an art gallery, a lecture series, and a free public library. At the time the building was only the west-most section of the present Peabody Institute building, with the art gallery and library located on top of the current Miriam A. Friedberg Concert Hall. In 1878, the collection and patron-base of the George Peabody Library grew too large for its space in which it was situated. The initial architect of the Peabody Institute, Edmund Lind, worked with James Crawford Neilson to build the second phase of the institute, building the current George Peabody Library. See below for further suggested reading:

Advertisements